High rate anaerobic digestion of thickened primary sewage sludge is a worthwhile option where maximum biogas and minimum footprint is required.
- Pre-treatment of the sludge (mechanical) to reduce particle size followed by sonication (ultra sound)are a pre-requisite to minimise potential issues within the reactor.
- Exhaustive trials undertaken by Active Research to better understand pre-treatment protocols have revealed that hydraulic retention times can be considerably reduced if in-feed is appropriately conditioned.
- Biogas production increased substantially.
- Biosolids generation reduced
- Methane value of biogas lifted to >70%
- Hydraulic retention time drastically reduced.
- Chemical requirement reduced
- Rapid digestion of proteins reduces sulphide generation.